Tuesday, 1 April 2014

How to brighten up your home tastefully this spring

daffodils, spring, cheetahsinmyshoes.com,
courtesy of www.cheetahsinmyshoes.com
At last, the weather has started to get a little warmer, the sun is shining and there are daffodils everywhere. For many, a change in the weather means a change in the home.

I'm getting the decorating itch again and I am desperate to brighten up my house as the décor has become quite stale.
 
So where do you start when you begin to brighten up your house? I asked the masses...
Here are the answers I got...

Pick a colour scheme

colour scheme, DIY, home decor, Laura Ashley, mylifemysonmyway,
Courtesy of LauraAshley.com
Instead of diving head first into your design project, take a minute or two to consider a colour scheme. If not, you may end up with an overly eclectic look as opposed to a tasteful revamp.

Tick those repairs off your to-do list

repairs, DIY, housework, Home repars, my life my son my way,
courtesy of Google images
We’re all guilty of leaving household repairs to the last minute. They just seem like too much of a chore in the winter months. However, come spring, we often feel a little more energised, which means we can finally begin to tick a few tasks off that endless to-do list.

As the weather begins to get a little warmer, this is also a good time to make a few structural changes if they are needed. Investing in the likes of double glazing for sash windows is a great idea. Cleaning up any tired-looking window sills and window panes will allow the sunlight to enter the home more freely, brightening the entire area up.

Create a mood board

Duck Egg, home decor, paint colour, style, mood board, rated people, my life my son my way,
courtesy of RatedPeople.com
If you’re planning on redecorating an entire room, it’s important to create a mood board. This will allow you to plan a colour palette, a floor plan and a style. Collecting cuttings from interior magazines, gathering printouts from the Internet and accumulating fabric samples will help you to do this.

Bring the outdoors in

House plant, plant pots, houzz.com, my life my son my way,
courtesy of houzz.com

Nothing quite says spring like a colourful floral display in the home. Investing in various vases and filling them with beautiful flowers will instantly brighten up a drab space. Keeping the flowers similar shades or opting for arrangements that boast colour opposites is a great way to brighten up any room in a tasteful manner.

Create a feature wall

bedroom, feature wall, pinterest, duck egg,
courtesy of pinterest.com

If you’re on a budget yet wish to add a dramatic look to a bedroom, a living room or a dining room, creating a feature wall is an easy and cost-effective solution. You can either paint the wall a vivid hue or use stencils to add typography. Alternatively, you can invest in just the one roll of snazzy wallpaper to liven up your room. Apart from taking little time to complete, such a technique will quickly transform the look and feel of an entire room at a fraction of the cost.

Paint pot at the ready, I think I am set to start my revamp....
I may even let Hoff help!

*Featured Post* Click here for more information on my disclosure policy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment xx