Friday, 4 October 2013

There is always someone, somewhere, worse off than you....

I took Kyd to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford this week for a long awaited appointment.

Only a week after his 11th birthday, Kyd has been told he's due to have surgery on his bowel in a couple of months time. He's having an ACE tube fitted. It is quite a complicated operation but it will stop the pain he has daily because of his lazy bowel and constipation. Eventually the bowel may heal itself and he can have a normal, healthy, active adulthood... HURRAH... it may not though and he may end up with a bag for life... and that isn't a shopping one.

I am a bit scared, I think he is too. At 11 he understands these things now and so he has been informed at every stage. It is a lot of work after the operation and will take up an hour or more of our day, every day... but he'll have NO PAIN. For that alone I am so happy to go through the faff of a daily wash out... what parent wouldn't.

After 11 years of issues with his bowel and 1000000's of medicines in every form, we have finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel... no pun intended.... It is hard to believe that we are in his 11th year of life. His 11th year of silly little health issues. His 11th year of pain. Hopefully his 12th year will be pain free and happy.

I can't really whine mind you, he is remarkably healthy compared to some. He has no heart issues and he is well behaved when he wants to be. I thank the lord every day for that. Knowing that he has been lucky and seeing some of the problems his peers have been and are going through, Down Syndrome or not, makes me put his issues into perspective.

Every time I start to panic I take a deep breath and think of all the other children suffering from things that can't be fixed and as I breath out I am ready to face the world again.

'There is always someone, somewhere, worse off than you'

Something I say a lot, often to people who are going through the little things in life that seem huge to them at the time. However people who are going through long term problems, are often aware of this coping mechanism already. In fact, if you look closely, they are taking their deep breath in as you glance their way and as they smile when they exhale, they are thanking God that the people they are thinking of, in that worst case scenario, aren't them.

Sounds harsh doesn't it, its not that I, or anyone else for that matter, wish the bad stuff on anyone but sometimes it takes this little bit of hope that it's not the worst thing in the world that could happen, that pulls you through.

Next time you feel like the world has swallowed you up or you've fallen down that rabbit hole of life...

Just take a deep breath and think of all the people around you in this world that are in a situation you'd struggle with... I bet you can think of at least one.

17 comments:

  1. Jenny Soppet-Smith4 October 2013 at 21:52

    I hope with every inch of me that the surgery does the trick - much love and keep breathing... x

    ReplyDelete
  2. cakesphotoslife (Angie)4 October 2013 at 22:09

    will be supporting you all from the distance, if I could be closer I would xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant post A; you are absolutely right - I'm full of admiration for you chick, will be thinking of you and K as the Op approaches x

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnnieMammasaurus4 October 2013 at 22:19

    For one so young compared to *ahem*friends of mine (ok I mean me) you are so mature and balanced. Which isn't meant to sound condescending, you inspire me x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lets hope they solve the problem for you all! lots of love and fingers crossed x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susanna (amodernmother.com)5 October 2013 at 08:53

    Best wishes for the operation, I hope it goes well. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a good post Alice. You and he are so brave and sensible. Good luck with the surgery - you'll be back on Swarm in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab post!!! I hope the surgery does the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jenny xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The beauty of Social Media ay?! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Ali, I promise he will be up and about by the time the carnival is back and then he can help with the lollies... as long as he gets one lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are as old as the person you feel... you touch me up all the time so you're all good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Mary xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Susanna xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. O believe me that boy will have a count down to the day he gets back on that rollercoaster!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Kim xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad it isn't just me! I feel a little mad when I do it mind you lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment xx